It has been a rough few days, so it was good to hear from my old buddy Mike Cameron on Friday. It really helped. I think everybody knows how close we are, and he just wanted me to know he was with me, supporting me, hoping everything works out all right with this injury I’m dealing with now.
Cam is great at eliminating the negative part of anything. I think anyone who has known him and played with him would tell you what a great presence he is in a clubhouse. Ask people around the league who they’d want to play with, and Mike Cameron is a name you’d hear from a whole lot of them.
Basically, he said, "Hey, if you can do it, do it." He didn’t say, "I understand if you can’t." He doesn’t think that way. He’s all about putting positive thoughts in your head.
So much of this game is your mental approach. If you allow yourself to be mentally ready, 90 percent of your job is done. The other 10 percent is to go out and play.
I’m trying to do everything possible to get this Achilles tendon working right again. We’re taping it, and when the tape comes off I feel better, but it does give me some stability on it.
I did some hitting Saturday before the game, and it felt better. I could have pinch-hit in the game if they’d needed me. I’m hoping it will feel even better Sunday. How I run before batting practice, how it responds, that will tell us a lot. At least I’ll know where I am.
I won’t go out there feeling like I did in Game 1 after I ran to first in that at-bat. I want to get the thing fixed. I just look forward to enjoying it again. It’s no fun when you can’t help your team. I want to be out there.
If I feel like I can go out there and get the job done, maybe I’ll give it a shot, see if I can get in the lineup. But if I can’t, we’ve got a good player out there. Endy Chavez can do a lot of things to help you win.
Cam keeps telling me, "You’re going to be OK." It’s like when he was coming back last year after that collision and had to go through so much to get back in shape to play. That was really inspirational. It was great to talk with him. I mean, that’s what friends are for, right?